I finally picked up my camera to do some work and it really
feels good to be back to doing something I love so much. The picture above was the only thing I had shot
this entire year. It isn't good. In fact the photo seems pretty bad considering
I didn't get a perfect little snowflake like planned. This winter has been
serving up all kinds of breathtaking landscapes big and small. I should be wrapped up in some 365 project making promises to take a photo a day. By the time I
mustered up the energy to even go outside, on the day I shot this, the snow had already melted and clumped
together a bit. There wasn't much in the
way of fresh falling perfection. But,
you know when I look again there seems to be a fitting quality to this image
that is representative of the last few months and I wanted to share it. The flake seems perfectly formed and miraculous but as it branches out
something has gone wrong and messed things all up.
My husband Damian and I were married January 1st
of last year and wanted to grow our family right away. First, I went to every specialist and doctor in my health arsenal to make sure that nothing would stand in the way of a healthy pregnancy. There were obstacles but in the end everything was looking fine. We had the go ahead to try and conceive. This is right around
the time we made the decision for me to focus on my business full time. When I returned from my Alaska trip we would set the wheel in motion. Trying to plan a family around my business
and wedding season was only a bit stressful. We knew that things would happen
when they were supposed to happen. We were doing everything we possibly could
tracking ovulation and hormones.
The most stressful part of the time period was my constant
suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). I had one cyst that was larger
than my right ovary and it didn't seem to be going away. I gained over fifteen
pounds and my hormones were going haywire. Two days before Christmas I was
doubled over in excruciating pain. This
was especially troubling since I had started to feel the symptoms that would
let me know that we had a baby on the way. I took a home pregnancy test and was
excited to see that I was indeed pregnant. I couldn't have been any happier and scared at the same time.
After a call to my doctor and an emergency visit to the
office we were told that I had a classic case of appendicitis. If I was pregnant the outlook for my baby wasn't good. I was sent
straight to the hospital emergency room for a scan of my abdomen. The thought
of having a CT scan and exposing my baby to radiation terrified me and I fought
it until a doctor finally suggested an MRI. He assured me that this was a much
safer alternative since no radiation would be used. The results showed that I
did not have appendicitis. The large cyst on my ovary had burst and now only
measured 1.5cm. Damian and I were
relieved. There were tears of joy and a sigh of relief. We
could celebrate.
For Christmas I decorated a positive pregnancy test like an ornament and gave it to his parents. This would be their very first biological grandchild. Once his mom figured out that she wasn't looking at a sparkly thermometer but an indication she would finally be a grandma the excitement set in. Everyone wanted this baby so much. My parents were ecstatic to have grandchild #12 on the way. I saw a change in my daughter when she found out that she was going to be a big sister and my son quickly warmed up to the idea of another little sibling too. Things seemed to be progressing normally and the scare we had was behind us only I couldn't help but notice that pains persisted. We were told that this was probably just my uterus growing or pain from the cyst. An early ultrasound looked great.
For Christmas I decorated a positive pregnancy test like an ornament and gave it to his parents. This would be their very first biological grandchild. Once his mom figured out that she wasn't looking at a sparkly thermometer but an indication she would finally be a grandma the excitement set in. Everyone wanted this baby so much. My parents were ecstatic to have grandchild #12 on the way. I saw a change in my daughter when she found out that she was going to be a big sister and my son quickly warmed up to the idea of another little sibling too. Things seemed to be progressing normally and the scare we had was behind us only I couldn't help but notice that pains persisted. We were told that this was probably just my uterus growing or pain from the cyst. An early ultrasound looked great.
I was really taking care of myself now, quitting caffeine, drinking
lots of water, avoiding certain foods and getting lots of rest. Morning
sickness had set in but it was more dizziness and nausea over certain smells than
the actual sickness I had with my other two pregnancies. Almost everyone around me was getting sick and
eventually the germ gods cursed me with a horrible virus. I did everything my doctor told me to do and
got even more rest. I eventually started
to feel much better. All of the plans I
had for my business for the new year had been put on the back burner but now I
was at least well enough to get through emails and phone calls.
Damian and I started picking out names. I bought our baby a toy and started making
plans for all the ways our life was changing.
I even went shopping for a few maternity things. To be honest I wanted to shout the good news
from the rooftops. For me there was really no reason to be worried. Damian was
a bit more reserved with sharing the news.
He decided that he would wait to see the baby’s heartbeat. That was the thing he was sure would make it
more real. Our ultrasound appointment was
scheduled for a Tuesday morning. Monday
evening I went to volunteer at the soup kitchen and spent the whole night
feeling out of sorts. When I got home I
started bleeding.
The next few days were hazy.
They were filled with tears, pain and fear. The ultrasound that Tuesday didn't show a
heartbeat but I could see a clear outline of our little baby. Since we were using the small bedside
ultrasound machine we were rescheduled until later in the week when we would
have another ultrasound with the bigger machine. I had only bled for a few hours but the pain
continued and worsened. I would describe
the pain as torturous because of its severity and the ominous presence it
placed in our lives. The doctor told us
we had a 90% chance of miscarrying.
I know people who have had the misfortune of losing a baby
but I had no close personal experience with such a loss. No one in my immediate family had gone
through it. I had limited knowledge of what the experience was like. On
television you see a woman holding her stomach as she feels a twinge of pain. There
are stories of women who didn't even know they had lost a baby or even that
they had been pregnant. The last book I had read was Labor Day and (spoiler alert: she has several miscarriages) there were no indications of the horrible way a miscarriage could drag on and on, only how such losses could drive a person crazy. What happened to
me was something I wasn't prepared for at all.
So after days of bed rest and pain we went to have another
ultrasound. When the image came up on
the screen there was our little baby and the pitter pat of a small heart. I could see the hope in Damian’s face but I
didn't share his hope. I’ll be honest. Later I would beat myself up for thinking the worst. The
baby didn't look as developed as what I expected to see and the heart was
beating way too slowly, only 55 beats per minute. Our new odds were more
promising though. Now we only had a 50% chance of miscarriage. To me this meant that if the baby survived there were going to be problems. I just knew something bad was happening. Together in the exam room we broke down. There
was only one problem. The doctor hadn't
read the results from my HCG blood test.
My hormones and dropped drastically and it was obvious that my body was
preparing to rid itself of the little life I wanted so badly to hang onto. I hated my body. The doctor told us that now the chances of having our baby were probably less than 5%.
We went back home to wait.
Through this whole catastrophe I had lost the power to pray. Instead I questioned why things were going
wrong and mostly I ended up blaming myself. I climbed back into bed at home and into a
state of emotional overload. It was only then that I found the power to pray. I
asked God for only one thing at that was not to let my baby suffer. I couldn't get that struggling little
heart out of my head. I collapsed into exhaustion
before waking up covered in blood and the bleeding didn't stop. I went through pains that seemed to be the
exact pains I had felt during childbirth. The dilation, bleeding and contractions persisted until that night I had an emergency D&C
surgery.
I can’t really explain the hole that this left in my heart. I didn't just feel emptiness but I felt sadness
because the loss of this very much wanted child was affecting everyone around
me. To see my husband’s heart break was unbearable. While we were losing our child Damian’s friend
was a few floors up holding his newborn baby.
The friends that I celebrated our mutual state of pregnancy with went on
being pregnant. I was left with nothing. My belly wouldn't be growing and I wouldn't be doing any more planning. Taking the last pill prescribed to help my uterus contract sent me into a ginormous panic attack. When my sister drug me out of the bed and out of the house I
cried at the site of a pregnant belly and when I heard the sound of a hungry
baby.
The best thing I did for myself was to talk about what
happened. Damian and I went to talk to our counselor. We talked to family and friends and we mostly
just talked to each other. This has
brought us closer in our marriage. We
found out so many people around us have suffered from miscarriages and loss of children. Oftentimes their losses seem greater than our own. We aren't alone. In fact the start of a fetus is such a miraculous formation like the amazing snowflake that it seems almost impossible things go right when they do. This makes life so much more precious and amazing. I wanted to share this story with my clients
to help explain the time I had to turn down sessions and reschedule
appointments. This story is why a planned period of time off this December turned into another month and a half of silence. I consider my clients my friends. You have seen me cry happy tears at your weddings and at the site of your precious babies. These tears of sadness are tears I didn't want to cry alone or else they might have swallowed me up and drowned me. Thank you for letting me share.
I am better now. I
was a mom for two months as I carried our baby in my womb and for Damian seeing
the heartbeat meant the world. He was a
daddy and truly blessed. We have our other big babies, Jakeb and Maurissa. We have each other.
My focus is back on the work I love. I am now booking
weddings during August and September when I expected to be off for maternity
leave. I am behind the camera again and it felt good to look through the lens
and see smiles during a session. That kind of happiness really heals my heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment